12/16/08

out with the old, in with the new?

I'll be seeing one of my favorite bands again tomor... er later today (seeing as it's already Tuesday) at the Norva over in Norfolk. The band, Taking Back Sunday, is doing a smaller-venue tour to give their new guitarist/back-up vocalist some face-time & experience with the fans before bigger things in '09 (with a new album coming soon). He's the 3rd guy to take-up this role in the band... with the 2 previous guys leaving due to a rift and/or desire to venture elsewhere musically with a new band.

Now I realize many of you may not have a clue who Taking Back Sunday is.... but I get the feeling there's at least one band you love that has experienced a line-up change at some point in their career. Maybe it was a minor change, or one that you were glad about... like seeing a band member get the boot due to a bad attitude or other issues. But maybe the change was devastating for you. Suddenly this band you loved was no longer the same band in your eyes.

What band, past or present, has affected your status as a devoted fan by going through a line-up change? Personally, I still love TBS despite the line-up changes.... but I'm not sure I can see Journey in the same light without Steve Perry (especially since the new lead singer was in a Journey cover band... and supposedly discovered on Youtube??)

Anyways.... discuss!

4 comments:

Rob said...

It wasn't a line up change but more of a time up that has ended up looking like a break up. I love dc Talk. I'm glad they never replaced members but I would love to see them get back together.

jake (to the) holla said...

Yes! I whole-heartedly agree, Rob. I can probably attribute my discovering of the band to you, along with Grits lol. In fact, my first concert was the DC Talk solo tour.. where they all played separately to promote the 3 solo albums, then came together as DC Talk to close out the show. It was amazing! I miss that.

Anonymous said...

did you see that the band is hosting an afterparty at the denny's in virginia beach tonight?? it's free, and they're supposed to hang out for a few hours to eat and meet everyone. you should check it out if you can!!

location details:
http://www.dennysallnighter.com/index.php/site/blog-entries/taking_back_sunday_norfolk_after_party_details

jake (to the) holla said...

thanks, anonymous! but yes, i stumbled upon that info the other day, and we definitely went to eat & chill with the band. if we're "anonymously" friends on facebook.. you should check out the pics! pretty sweet.