5/7/10

Movie Review: Iron Man 2



Another long-awaited movie has arrived, and it's already making big money overseas (it was released internationally on April 28th)... yes indeeeeed, RDJ / Favreau and friends are back. Of course, I went to see the midnight premiere last night... and was pleasantly surprised to see so many people come out, in a typically quiet college town (after midnight... haha)

Anyways! What did I think of the movie?

As expected, I loved it. It was yet again a truly unique comic book movie experience... with a top-notch cast, witty dialogue, and fantastic action sequences & special effects. I was a bit thrown off by how dialogue-heavy this sequel was, but that's not to say it was bland or boring... it was just more than I expected. Luckily there was enough character development and explosive fight scenes to balance everything out, and I thought the overall pacing of the movie was realistic & entertaining. Tony Stark is a truly troubled individual, physically/psychologically... and I love how Robert Downey Jr. has brought that to the screen in both movies, so far. I'm really eager to see how he interacts with Captain America (Chris Evans) and Thor (Chris Hemsworth), with Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury most likely trying to (frustratingly) direct these 3 super-powered icons in The Avengers movie in 2012. As far as the supporting cast: Paltrow was great once more as Tony's right-hand lady, Scarlett Johannson was a quality addition... especially when thrown into the action, Mickey Rourke / Sam Rockwell were excellent villains... although somewhat underused, and Favreau pulled double-duty again as director/actor... playing Stark's chauffeur Happy Hogan in some quality moments of the film.

For the comic-geek viewing audience : I really enjoyed the extended presence of SHIELD and Jackson's Nick Fury, and the scattered Marvel-universe references & "easter eggs" (intentionally placed and/or hidden stuff that you'd easily overlook unless you knew it was there). Look closely at all the monitors/maps/news footage during the scene towards the end when Stark meets with Fury. And OF COURSE stick around after the credits for an extremely cool reference to.... something. I won't spoil it here.

Overall: I gave the first Iron Man a solid 10/10, and I give Iron Man 2 a worthy 8.8/10

5 comments:

Brian Miller said...

hot! cant wait to see it!

Jacob Ray said...

i can't wait to see it! i was bummed i couldn't go to the premiere, due to the spring play and my being in the band

Anonymous said...

Dude...I concur 8.8/10 It was really good but the dialog did take a bit from it for me...though the action was top notch

Abby said...

nerd! :P

Rob said...

Loved it. I like it when a summer movie doesn't suck.