5/24/10

geeking out

Have you ever geeked out over something? (ex. waited in a line for several hours... possibly overnight; pre-ordered something the very second it was made available; gushed about how much you love something and discussed it in detail with like-minded fans; etc etc)

Naturally, the long-awaited series finale of Lost made me think of this. It's all I've heard about for the last week... and last night / this morning I've seen or heard countless references to it. I never got into the show... BUT I can completely sympathize and relate to how these people feel about their favorite show. I've also seen the fan-base of Glee grow bigger & bigger... to the point where devoted fans of the show are now referring to themselves as "Gleeks"... and of course the millions of fans of Marvel/DC comics, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Harry Potter know how to truly geek out on their favorite books & movies... especially in custom-made costumes.



I'm proud to say I've been geeking out on comic-related things for the majority of my life. While TV shows come and go, movie trilogies end and are shelved until possibly getting the "remake" treatment, and music icons fizzle out and retire... everything in the comic book world just keeps on going. The biggest & most popular characters will inevitably be around forever, and will continue to be immortalized in comic books & movies & TV shows & commercials & toys & clothing. It's comforting to know I'll never have to say goodbye to Spider-man, Batman, or Wolverine. Sure... there will often be less-than-quality depictions of my favorite superheroes... but there's always excessive opportunities beyond the crappy stuff to redeem that particular character's credibility in the mind's of the fans worldwide. I love waiting in line for a midnight movie premiere, and getting into the theater early with friends and just feeling the excitement grow & grow until the clock strikes 12:01am.

What do YOU love, to the point of geeking out over it?

*In other news, you can geek out over the upcoming release of the mighty Chick-Fil-A's new Spicy Chicken sandwich by reserving a FREE sandwich for yourself @ www.getspicychicken.com. Apparently it's their first new sandwich in over 15 years? I vaguely remembering someone telling me that, but I couldn't find any facts along those lines via a quick Google search.

6 comments:

Rob said...

Def the super hero movies for me. I also tend to geek out over some concerts, DVD's, and CD's.

Jessica said...

TWILIGHT!

You saw that coming though.

SJS said...

If you check out your "Personal Invitation" it should say "Experience our first new sandwich introduction since 1989." :) So I guess... 21 years?

Brian Miller said...

i am a super hero geek...though recently my boys have gotten on a star wars kick that is definitely bring out my inner geek....

Unknown said...

although i could easily say bands like Family Force 5, Relient K, Switchfoot, and others, since i've "gushed about how much i love it" and "discussed it in detail with like-minded fans", that would be taking the easy way out (in my opinion)

i "geek out" over Batman the majority of the time, and also the Avengers line-up, whether separate or altogether. The Office and SNL are two other things i geek out over as well

oh, and can't forget Lord Of The Rings

abby ruth said...

I tend to geek out over you!

...couldn't resist the cheesy mushy response.