1/21/10

rebellious reading

Back in the days of elementary/middle school... before I was hooked on ridiculous t-shirts/sunglasses, able to grow facial hair, and willing to talk to girls... there was a common pastime that took place almost every single night. I would grab a flashlight (later to be upgraded to a book light), get under the covers, and readreadread to my heart's content. Anything from Goosebumps to the Boxcar Children to random books from the ever-so-exciting Book Fair at school. I would stay up past my bedtime, risking the possibility of being scolded and/or punished, to get lost in some crazy adventure or mystery.



























My imagination was in overdrive (and still is, honestly) but those times almost seem foreign to me now.. and frankly that saddens me.

I'm trying to break the non-habit and get back into it this semester & beyond. I recently heard Francis Chan speak @ Passion 2010 in Atlanta, so for starters I've picked up 2 of his books (Crazy Love and Forgotten God) as well as a new ESV Bible. Here's where you come in. I've probably asked for recommendations in the past, but regardless.... I want some ideas of additional books to pick up/add to my list! Help me out here. I'm ready & willing to crush my lack of motivation to read like I used to.

Gracias!

5 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice. when i get home tonight i will drop you a list...may need to remind me as i will be in court all afternoon and imagine my brain will be mush.

Jacob Ray said...

anything C.S. Lewis, of course
"I Am America (And So Can You!)" by Stephen Colbert (haha)

Rob said...

Mark Batterson is one of my favorite authors. I highly reccomend In A Pit With A Lion and his newest book Primal.

Craig Groeschel has a couple of really good books. It - for church leaders and Going All the way - for dating/relationships.

Anything Andy Stanley. His book Communicating for Change is the best book I've ever read on preaching.

Have you read any Donal Miller?

jake (to the) holla said...

Brian - i'll shoot you a reminder on facebook haha

J-ray - lol but of course

Rob - majority of those names sound familiar. heard Andy Stanley speak @ Passion 2010 actually. but no, i haven't ready any Donal Miller

James Conneely said...

Whhooaa I so read that book back in the day!

I still don't if I read those books for the content or the cool cover art?