8/23/08

accident prone and loving it

This isn't anything new.. or some profound conclusion I've reached... but good grief, I'm accident prone.

here's my latest









What caused this.. you ask? Why.. playing man-hunt, of course! (think hide-and-seek... but on a bigger scale... and with college-age kids and above) It's silly, I know... but honestly, I wouldn't trade times like this for anything. Now don't get all freaked out and suddenly think "wow Jake, you're a sick freak who enjoys pain!"... because that's not the case. The point I'm trying to make is.... whether I get hurt doing stuff like this or not... it's worth it. Day in and day out... I see people who have fallen into the mundane flow of their daily routine, whatever that may be, and can't do anything but complain about how bored they are... or how there "isn't anything to do around here". I'm sorry, but have you completely lost touch with your imagination? Or the will and desire to put forth effort in looking for something to do beyond the usual? Because trust me... there is PLENTY to do (within reason, and appropriateness... lol... don't go rob a bank, or break into the Norfolk Zoo... etc etc). Look beyond the blah and the typical everyday activities and actually try to bring some excitement to that routine of yours. Now... I know not everyone has the same level of imagination or randomness as me, or several others I know... but still... it's completely within reason.

Now, stemming from that point.... it really frustrates me to see friends (who have realized that there's definitely an alternative to the norm, and succeed in having genuine clean fun on a regular basis) turn their backs on this knowledge and just fall in line with what everyone else is doing.... whatever that may be... I'll leave it to your imagination, or lack thereof. Now.. I know I can't force anyone to do or not do something.... but nonetheless... it's still frustrating to see people choose to settle for less... or let bad habits and worldly expectations determine how they act and what they do. I saw myself falling in line, or heading that way, back in high school... and made a point to stop right then & there... and do something about it. I look back at myself then, and look in the mirror now... and it really feels like 2 different people, in a sense. Yes, part of what I'm getting at is on a spiritual level... in terms of my faith and my relationship with Christ... but another part of what saying is on a simple level of human logic, and breaking the mold of what the world expects of us as human beings. Sometimes I just wish it was as simple as smacking someone upside the head and saying "STOP IT!".... and that be enough..... but clearly and obviously it's not that easy.

Do something today that's out of the norm. Take that small step to chip away at the blah routine of whatever may be keeping you down on a daily basis. Eat your favorite cereal from when you were 6 years old. Sing your heart out while driving, no matter what the person in the car next to you may think... or how you sound. Wear a ridiculous t-shirt, or some absurdly 80's sunglasses. Just... do... something. A small step is better than not stepping out at all.

There's more to life than what you may encounter... I promise.

And to those of you that I am around each week... that I laugh along with, sing/dance along with, share random moments of ridiculousness with, pray with, learn from, talk to... anything at all. I cherish our friendship, whatever level of depth it may have. I'm who I am because of Christ, and Christ has blessed me with some of the most outstanding, unique, bold, hilarious, interesting, and amazing friends that stretch far beyond anything I can imagine sometimes. I wouldn't trade any of the memories we've shared for anything... and I can only hope I mean a third-as-much to you all, as you mean to me.

(feel free to grab some nearby tissue... potential tear-jerker moment, I know)

"Wow, Jake... all of that from a nasty leg wound?".... yes. All of that from a nasty leg wound. Hopefully it made some coherent sense... I tend to ramble, and it's 2am or so.... sooo yep.

Welp, those are my thoughts for the night / early morning. I hope to see more of you breaking that silent-blog-reader mold and leaving some comments! I think I disabled the requirement to have a blogger account so that more people can leave comments... but nonetheless, it's never a bad thing to have one.

Okay seriously, I'm done. G'nite.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Jake.

I myself have fallen into the norm of work/school/sitting at home all daylong on my comp bored out of my mind most of the day.

But I plan to change that and get out more and hang out with friends when ever I get the chance.

sighed.

David Hite

Anonymous said...

Wow, glad I stumbled upon this, via myspace bulletin. So I guess it wasn't much of a stumble. Well... I know what you're talking about, and while I wish I could say I wasn't the kid falling in the routine, I can't. No no, I get out plenty, it's just my actions aren't as healthy as they could be. It's difficult to find a group of friends who enjoy manhunt and capture the flag as much as you, me or anyone else who plays does. Hey, just wanted to say thanks for all the night games facebook invites over the summer. Even though I didn't go to them, I wish I had. Next summer, i'll be there, as long as those facebook invites keep circulating. I still tell people shlonk discovery stories of the graveyard and such. I usually exaggerate though, and add ghosts, gorillas, and maybe a wild tiger or two.