12/18/09

Movie review : AVATAR












If you know me at all, you know I'm pretty big on movies & midnight showings... so of course I went to see Avatar's midnite showing. However, this viewing was different. This was in IMAX 3-D. And MANNN OH MAN was is it in IMAX 3-D.... wow. I haven't been that blown away by a movie since The Dark Knight (or that impressed with something I was uncertain about since the new Star Trek). I know, I know... that's a mighty big claim, and yes I'm still riding on the movie-experience high since I just saw it... but I don't think my opinion will differ tomorrow or a couple days from now. This was the most visually captivating movie I have ever seen.

I couldn't think of how to describe what James Cameron did to film this... so here's a blurb from Wikipedia:

"The film is being touted as a breakthrough in terms of filmmaking technology, for its development of 3D viewing and stereoscopic filmmaking with cameras that were specially designed for the film's production"

If you're in the 757, or anywhere that has a movie theater with an IMAX 3-D screen, and you're even remotely interested or curious in this movie... do NOT accept any substitutes. This movie was made to be seen in that format, and it is completely worth the extra money for the ticket.

And finally, yes... it is a familiar storyline, with elements that have been used & seen in movies past (think Ferngully meets Dances With Wolves, in the future)... but who cares? James Cameron does it justice, and it's such a beautifully put together piece of cinema. Sure it's got alot of sci-fi strangeness (if you're not really into that kinda stuff)... but it's also got action, great characters, a love story, light humor scattered throughout, and did I mention the special effects?? Yes yes yes... can't stress that element of it enough.

Okay, that is all. See this movie in IMAX 3-D, and plan on being transported elsewhere and becoming completely immersed in this crazy fantasy world. Good night! (or good morning)

2 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice. thanks for the review...cant wait to see it! enjoy the break man...we really need to hook up on the other side.

Rob said...

I can't wait! But I have to until Sat. Still I can't wait till Sat!