4/1/09

it's about time

I had been following this for awhile.... but had forgotten in recent weeks to keep up with any developments.... so read the good news below


"Monday, March 9, marked the day Governor Tim Kaine of Virginia signed legislation banning smoking in Virginia's bars and restaurants. Identical House and Senate bills HB1703 and SB1105 will ban smoking in nearly all of Virginia's restaurants, allowing exceptions for private clubs and restaurants with a designated smoking room that is physically separated and independently ventilated from non-smoking dining areas.

The ban, which goes into effect on December 1, 2009, includes strong protections for both workers and patrons. Proprietors cannot require wait or bus staff to work in any area of the restaurant where smoking may be permitted. Additionally, restaurants that choose to have a separated structure for smoking must ensure that at least one public entrance to the restaurant is in a smoke-free area. Local health departments will inspect for compliance with the smoking prohibitions when completing other routine inspections."


I don't know about you... but for me, that's very exciting. I hate smelling like cigarrette smoke after being in a restaurant, or even having to walk through it to get anywhere. I realize alot of people won't be too particularly happy when this goes into effect in December... but hey, tough cookies. I'm a fan of clean(er) oxygen.. in fact, if smoke-free oxygen were a sports team, I'd be a cheerleader for that team. Poms poms, choreographed cheers, cheesy smiles... the works.

Now please excuse me while I cough, due to 2nd-hand smoke exposure.

2 comments:

mary-el!z. said...

i wish they would ban it at the parties i go to lol, cause i always have to wash all my clothes!

Brian Miller said...

i am pleased. we lived in FL that has a similar ordinance. the food will taste so much better, and maybe the air, just a bit.