1/14/11

oh, nostalgia

As I sat on the floor of my room last night... staring up at the clothes, bags, and boxes of stuff that needed to be packed for my return to Lynchburg today... I had a sudden urge to dig through some other boxes.

The boxes under my bed.

The boxes full of my old toys & collections from my childhood.

The 2 boxes, in particular, that hadn't been dusted off and opened up in years.

A good chunk of my childhood was practically defined by the contents of those boxes.

L E G O S

I should have finished packing and gotten some sleep, but I found myself ignoring the clock... digging through the countless little blocks and dismembered Lego people. It was surreal. I was so enthralled in this re-discovery that I took the time to dig out every single Lego man, woman, shark, and horse so they could be set aside and bagged together. Most were mix & matched (like a pirate with an Aztec shield, knight's sword, and an astronaut helmet), but one particular little guy was left in his original get-up.


None other than Robin Hood. Seeing that single Lego character took me right back to those carefree days... spending hours just building the most imaginative bases, castles, and island hide-outs. Lego Robin Hood was my go-to guy when I wanted to play Legos and fight off the evil pirates, their pet sharks, and who knows what else. It was quite the moment finding him buried amidst all the jumbled chaos.

Anyways, I snapped out of it and realized it was almost 4:30 am (yes, I know... ridiculous) and quickly cleaned up, and re-situated all the boxes back under my bed. I stuck Lego Robin Hood up on my shelf amidst other memorable trinkets, and then got back to the original task at hand of packing for my trip.

Ever had a powerful moment of nostalgia like that, that suddenly took presedence over whatever you were doing at the time?


*I apologize often for slacking on my blog-upkeep... so I'll just simply say thanks to anybody that has stuck around. Until next post!*

2 comments:

Rob said...

I'm still around. I def go back to memory lane when I look at classic toys.

Brian Miller said...

the lego wii games have so rekindled ood...my childhood...welcome back to the burg...